Our scientists use modern chemistry techniques to identify, isolate and analyse compounds in plants.
Plant & Food Research analyses plant and animal material to identify compounds of interest for product development and to understand their functions in food, plant and marine systems. These include organic acids, carbohydrates and lipids, as well as polyphenolics and carotenoids, among many classes of compounds.
Our scientists extract, fractionate and analyse samples to measure their chemical composition as well as to identify unknown compounds. We also investigate enzymes and their activity to better understand the biosynthesis of these compounds.
We use the latest techniques and equipment for our studies, including:
- Gas Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry (GCMS)
- Liquid Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry (LCMS)
- Multi Dimensional Liquid Chromatography (LTQ)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography (UPLC).