We develop cultivars for the mixed cropping industry with new agronomic attributes and end-use functionality.
The Plant & Food Research arable programme is developing new wheat, barley, triticale, oats and forage crops with increased disease resistance and higher yields. Our focus is on high quality, convenient, nutritious food and feeds.
We use conventional breeding techniques and marker assisted selection to breed the best arable and forage cultivars. We are also investigating root system form and function to maximise water and nutrient input efficiencies and minimise environmental footprints.
We have a long history in delivering new cultivars to meet the needs of the mixed cropping industry:
- Premium Group 1 milling wheat ‘Conquest’
- High performance, medium grade milling wheat Saracen™
- Wheat cultivars for the High Rainfall Zone of Australia
- High performance feed grains including ‘Excede’ wheat, ‘Wakanui’ wheat, ‘Bumpa’ barley and ‘Winslow’ triticale
- Cereal forage cultivars ‘Prophet’ triticale and ‘Coronet’, Everleaf™ and ‘Milton’ oats
- Forage brassicas, including ‘Maxima Plus’ and Goliath™ rape, ’Major Plus’, ‘Aparima Gold’ and ‘Keystone’ swede and ‘Regal’ kale.
New forage brassica cultivars developed in our breeding programme are available exclusively through Forage Innovations Limited.