Mt Albert Redevelopment Programme
Plant & Food Research’s Mt Albert site is the largest of the company’s 14 New Zealand sites and home to around 300 staff. As Head Office, the site also contains many of the administrative functions for the business.The largest building on the Mt Albert Research Campus (MARC) is the seven-storey Hamilton Building, opened in 1973 and named for William Hamilton, Director General of the DSIR from 1953 to 1971. However since opening, few significant developments have been made to the Hamilton Building and in recent years the need for significant remediation work has arisen.
The MARC Redevelopment Programme marks a major investment in the site intended to modernise lab and office spaces as well as develop conference facilities on-site. The project is scheduled to be completed by December 2017.
Also undergoing redevelopment work is the Cunningham Building, opened in 1939 and named for Gordon Cunningham, first director of the DSIR Plant Diseases Division. The Cunningham Building sits in the centre of the campus and is being converted from office and storage space to become the new social and formal meeting area and the heart of the campus. Works were completed over the 2014/15 summer period.